This is the old Market Place and the remains of the 15th century Market Cross, one of the few still existing in Warwickshire - it is composed of local stone but only the raised base of three steps and the shaft are left. Originally the cross had a four-sided head and was covered with a shed attached to the Old Market Hall during the 17th century. This was pulled down in 1793.
The head of the cross deteriorated and was lost in about 1894. Proclamations have been made from the Cross for five centuries and in our own time declarations of national importance such as the accession of Queen Elizabeth II in 1952 and her Jubilee in 1977 were made from here. << Back